Friday, November 21, 2014

Round Robin for November--FOOD!!!!

This month's Round Robin subject is My Favorite Food. Why. When first found. A recipe.

Hmmm….

Somehow, this is a problem for me. It shouldn't be this difficult to think of my favorite food. Except, I suppose, I like so many. Shrimp, probably because of its scarcity during childhood, then expense when we lived on the coast and, abundance of it aside, we couldn't afford it. Now that we can, fresh shrimp resides an hour away. And I have developed a preference for wild caught Gulf shrimp. Picky, I know, but I can tell the difference with the farm-raised. Just. Not. The. Same.

I like crab and to be picky (again) about it, snow and blue over king. How's that for a pseudo-refined taste? In fact, it's a joke between my husband and me about how much crab I can crack and eat in one sitting. The benchmark? The week before our first son was born, Red Lobster had an all-you-can-eat crab special. So I did. Finally, my husband started cracking them out for me so we could pay the bill and leave. I think he was embarrassed.

So, I put the question to myself: What would I have for my last meal if I knew I was having such? What could I get my fill of?

I'd want a cheeseburger. A half pound of sirloin, grilled to perfection. Jack cheese with jalapenos. Guacamole. Dill pickles, preferably my home-preserved. Mayo. Lettuce, anything but iceberg. I'd pull one of the buns off to save the calories (but why if it's the last meal?) and want large, wonderful onion rings, like those at Liberty Burger.

That's the recipe. Serve with a glass of Biale zinfandel and there'd be bliss.

Next up is our hostess and the originator and caretaker of this enterprise, Robin.

Thank you, Robin.



6 Comments:

At 10:52 AM CST, Blogger anne stenhouse said...

I'e never mastered the art, or science, of cracking crabs, but I do enjoy crabmeat. anne Stenhouse

 
At 3:34 PM CST, Blogger Victoria Chatham said...

Crab meat was something that I was used to having ready prepared in the shell. The first time I tried cracking crabs my Canadian husband, a sea-food lover and adept at winkling the meat from the shell, laughed himself silly. I forgave him though the first time he made me crab stuffed portobello mushrooms.

 
At 4:44 PM CST, Blogger Rhobin said...

I love seafood, shrimp, crab, and scallops. My son makes a really wonderful seafood linguini. But a really great cheeseburger? That's a hard choice to make. A restaurant in Cadillac serves buffalo burgers which makes an unbelievably good cheeseburger, especially loaded with fried onions.

 
At 5:02 PM CST, Blogger Heidiwriter said...

Love seafood! Cracking crab does take a lot of work but it's worth it in the long run! And your "last meal", yum!

 
At 7:36 PM CST, Blogger darkwriter said...

Fun post. Thanks for sharing.
But you never mentioned Dungeness crab.

 
At 6:02 PM CST, Blogger Fiona McGier said...

I'm with Marci, who has mentioned on other blogs that she won't eat seafood. Me neither. So you can have all of hers and mine! Funny how you'd choose a burger for your last meal, then. Maybe because to hell with the calories and the fat, at that point? I don't care much for burgers either. But give me a good filet, or prime rib, and I'm in heaven. To each their own, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home